Thanks to the efforts of our many supporters, Sojourner House has grown from a part-time, volunteer-run hotline into a provider of comprehensive services available to victims of abuse 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We've taken steps to determine how best to prioritize our future efforts to help those who are most isolated due to abuse, as well as efforts to improve systemic and institutional responses to people in abusive relationships. As the demand for our unique services continues to grow, we are able to offer part-time and full-time positions to qualified candidates on an on-going basis.
Please continue to check back periodically, or subscribe to our mailing list to be notified as opportunities become available within our organization.
+ Volunteer Coordinator
Job Location: Providence
Salary: $37,000 to 42,000 a year, depending on experience, with full benefits (including health/dental insurance, paid holidays, accrued time off, an Employee Assistance Plan, and a 401(k) plan).
Basic Function: The Volunteer Coordinator will work closely with Sojourner House staff to recruit, train, manage, and retain volunteers at the organization.
The Volunteer Coordinator will be motivated, passionate, organized, detail-oriented, possess superior communications skills (both oral and written), have prior experience with managing volunteers, and be fluent in social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Mail Chimp, etc.).
Responsibilities Include: • Recruits and interviews individuals to volunteer and intern at Sojourner House;
- Oversees the curriculum, content, and implementation of a volunteer training at least three times a year for new interns/volunteers;
- Responds to prospective inquiries about volunteer work that is available via email and in-person meetings;
- Ensures that volunteers have a work plan and direct supervisor on staff at Sojourner House;
- Provides training to new volunteers to orient them to their new role;
- Organizes on-going training opportunities for volunteers;
- Works with volunteers and staff to provide assistance for tabling opportunities at community events;
- Ensures proper recording and documentation of volunteer hours for grant compliance;
- Assists with hotline coverage at Sojourner House’s location when necessary;
- Helps facilitate the acceptance of in-kind donations from community members and delegates donations to different shelters/locations as needed;
- Plans volunteer appreciation events as appropriate;
- Directly supervises a small number of volunteers/interns;
- Speaks at colleges, fairs, and community events about volunteer opportunities and the work that Sojourner House does in the community;
- Provides presentations about domestic violence to community groups as requested;
- Assists with social media platforms and ensures the posting of regular content about volunteer work, opportunities, and news at the agency;
- Develops content for a regular e-newsletter and a quarterly print newsletter to showcase the work of volunteers and the work that Sojourner House does;
- Assists with website maintenance, monthly e-newsletters, blog posts, and other communications work as assigned.
- Works with volunteers to organize the bulk mailing process for donor appeals and fundraising campaign solicitations;
- Other duties as assigned by Sojourner House management.
Experience & Special Skills:
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- A minimum of two years of professional experience working with programs or volunteers is required.
- Familiarity with nonprofit work is preferred.
- Applicant must be able to work a flexible schedule (some evening and weekend hours required).
- Must be exceptionally organized, detail oriented, and responsive to phone calls and email correspondence.
- Must be able to work independently and take initiative on projects.
- Must have superior communications skills, both written and oral.
- Familiarity with Spanish is a plus.
- Must have computer literacy (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and general Internet skills).
- Mastery of social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and basic website content.
- Experience in developing and delivering community presentations.
- Applicant must pass a BCI check.
- Applicant must have access to a reliable vehicle.
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until Friday, October 26, 2018