Thanks to the efforts of our many supporters, Sojourner House has grown from a part-time, volunteer-run hotline into a provider of comprehensive services available to victims of abuse 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We've taken steps to determine how best to prioritize our future efforts to help those who are most isolated due to abuse, as well as efforts to improve systemic and institutional responses to people in abusive relationships. As the demand for our unique services continues to grow, we are able to offer part-time and full-time positions to qualified candidates on an on-going basis.
Please continue to check back periodically, or subscribe to our mailing list to be notified as opportunities become available within our organization.
+ Relief Advocate
Job Location: Sojourner House Domestic Violence Shelter (northern Rhode Island) and/or THEIA (Trafficking) Shelter (Providence)
Reports to: LGBTQ+ Manager
Rate of Pay: $13 an hour (hourly; no benefits)
BASIC FUNCTION: Responsible for the overnight and/or daily operation of Sojourner House’s Shelter and the helpline, creating an atmosphere of advocacy where guests are able to heal and redirect their lives.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Maintain a safe and secure environment at the shelter facility.
- Provide all temporary guests of the shelter with the support and assistance they need including emotional support, education on domestic violence, in adjusting to their new environment.
- Answer the helpline providing crisis intervention, emotional support, and referral information to clients.
- Perform intake interviews and refer cases to full-time case managers if the shelter is the appropriate place for the client. If so, orient the client to the facility. If not, direct the client to the appropriate services available to them.
- Support clients to secure basic needs: food, clothing, safety, transportation, education, etc. Support their work towards their personal goals.
- Support guests to follow shelter rules and procedures, creating an environment of trust and community.
- Assist in the cleaning and maintenance of the facility as needed.
- Maintain communication with other shelter staff.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor or as required.
EDUCATION: Associate’s degree or equivalent experience
EXPERIENCE: Two to three years in human services, domestic violence experience preferred
- Must be organized and demonstrate superior leadership skills
- Bilingual preferred
- Computer literate in spreadsheet and word processing
- Able to work a flexible schedule
- Must pass BCI
TO APPLY: Please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for 2-3 references to Kassie Hawkins at email@example.com or by mail to Sojourner House, 386 Smith Street, Providence, RI 02908. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.